- Winning the McDonald's account (and working with the client for 10 years):
- developed an entirely new system for handling field service; developed first Local Store Marketing Manual; developed first promotion manual; developed seven level strategy for McDonald's creative; developed stair step principle for media/creative efficiency; developed "redbook" creative concept idea.
- Winning the Esso account (and working with the client for 10 years):
- developed syndicated radio show for trucking division; worked with client to completely revamp trucking business; developed the concept of the Esso Kids' Program; developed strategy and language for the Esso hockey program.
- Having the opportunity to meet Pierre Trudeau, numerous Federal Cabinet Ministers, two Toronto Mayors, movie stars, television stars, Olympic athletes (including my father's idol -- Jessie Owens), Rick Hansen, astronauts Roberta Bondar and Chris Hadfield, and hockey stars Wayne Gretzky, Johnny Bower, Darryl Sittler, Lanny MacDonald, and the one and only Eddie Shack, just to name a few.
- Having the opportunity to work with three of the country's major banks, including the launch of MasterCard in Canada, along with several large trust companies, leading mutual funds, Canada Savings Bonds, the relaunch and repositioning of Freedom 55, and the CDIC. Together, these gave me the chance to deeply understand the unique relationship between Canadians and their money, a relationship that goes far beyond wealth.
- Esso Hockey -- TV Nagano Olympics. Judged by Strategy Magazine as the best commercials on the Canadian Olympic broadcast and best use of athletes. Cast: a veritable who’s who of hockey...Brendan Shanahan, Rob Blake, Eddie Shack, Bobby Clarke, Ron MacLean, Patrick Roy, Eric Desjardins, Kerry Fraser, Marc Crawford. "But the big story of the '98 winter games has to be the veritable avalanche of hockey-themed TV creative. And the thing is, most of it’s pretty good. There’s a subtle brilliance to just about everything in the Imperial Oil pool, from the heartwarming spot featuring little girls pretending to be their heroes on the National Women’s hockey team, to light-hearted spots starring NHL players...Brendan Shanahan’s got the timing of Jack Benny." (Strategy Magazine) [campaign written by Don Curtis and Joe Hash]
- Developing advertising for Labatt's, Amstel, Heinekin, Formosa Springs, Upper Canada, Hiram Walker, and Corby's, yet never having had a drink in my life...Ah, the wonders of advertising, and the value of research.
- Working with Federal Tourism, Ontario Tourism, the C.N.E., Ontario Place; being involved in the launch of Canada's Wonderland; promoting Toronto, and developing creative to celebrate the city's 150th anniversary.
- Being involved in literally hundreds of focus groups (on virtually every subject imaginable) that constantly amazed me as to the fertile minds and indomitable spirit of Canadians.
- Seeing ideas come to fruition.
- Being part of Ronald House, the Esso Kids' Program, and the Toronto Santa Claus Parade.